Aesop announces Arts in Health programmes for Arts in Health Conference this April
Aesop’s second national Arts in Health Conference & Showcase takes place from 9.45am – 6pm on Thursday 19 April 2018 at Milton Court, in partnership with the Guildhall School of Music & Drama and the College of Medicine.
For the second Conference & Showcase, the focus is on how the arts are contributing to current health priorities by reducing demands on the health system, addressing the neglect of mental health, supporting an ageing population and tackling health inequalities.
The event will showcase 24 arts programmes already helping deliver current health priorities. Each will feature a presentation of the programme, testament from beneficiaries and health and cost-effectiveness perspectives.
Patsy Rodenburg OBE is an international expert on teaching voice and speech. She has worked with Dame Judi Dench, Franco Zeffirelli, Tim Burton, Harold Pinter and high-profile politicians. She will explore ‘Presence’ - the quality of self-assurance and effectiveness that enables great performers to perform, great teachers to teach and all healers to heal.
Dame Darcey Bussell DBE will present her new venture Diverse Dance Mix.
Tim Joss, Aesop Chief Executive and Founder has programmed the Conference alongside Dr Michael Dixon, Chair of Council, College of Medicine and National Clinical Champion for Social Prescribing and Professor Helena Gaunt, Vice Principal and Director of Guildhall Innovation at Guildhall School of Music & Drama. Of the programme he says –
‘The showcase opens a window on programmes which are both strong artistically and powerful contributors to health improvement. They demonstrate how arts and culture are part of the solution to today’s health challenges’.
The 24 Arts in Health programmes that will be showcased at the Conference are as follows -
1. Aesop – Dance to Health: a falls prevention dance programme for older people
2. Akademi - Dance Well: South Asian dance with cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation outpatients.
3. Breathe Arts Health Research - Melodies for Mums
4. British Lung Foundation – Singing for lung health
5. Clod Ensemble – Performing Medicine
6. English National Ballet - Dance for Parkinson’s: A person-centred approach
7. Equal Arts – Creative Age Challenge
8. Guildhall School of Music & Drama – Careful: Supporting nurses' physical and emotional well-being through theatre and dance performance
9. Guildhall School of Music & Drama – Music, Memory and Me: celebrating the person within the patient
10. Guildhall School of Music & Drama - Music therapy for older people
11. Healing Arts Cumberland Infirmary – About Being: A dance from hospital to home
12. Historic Royal Palaces - Sensory Palaces for people with dementia and their carers
13. Jack Drum Arts – Performing Arts for Positive Mental Health
14. Lime Music for Health - Medical Notes: Music at the Heart of Life
15. Live Music Now - Developing sustainable live music as part of care ‘toolkits’ in residential care for older people
16. Liverpool Philharmonic – Partnerships for Recovery musician in residence
17. Manchester Camerata - Music in Mind: the co-delivery of music-making sessions by musicians and care staff for people living with dementia
18. Mental Fight Club - Founded, led and delivered by People with Mental Health Experience
19. National Museums Liverpool - House of Memories: The impacts of museum-led dementia awareness programme
20. Outside Edge Theatre Company - Unfinished Business: theatre performance on rehab / addiction
21. Pavilion Dance (South West) – ‘Mind the gap’: the bridge between therapeutic health provision and independent self-management for People with Parkinson’s
22. Somewhere – See beyond Stroke
23. South Staffs & Shropshire healthcare NHS FT - UP Tempo: music for health
24. The Reader – Building community and personal resilience through weekly shared reading
The Conference will be facilitated by Vivienne Parry OBE, science writer and broadcaster with the following speakers: Dame Darcey Bussell DBE President of the Royal Academy of Dance & Founder of Diverse Dance Mix, Professor Gillian Leng CBE NICE Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Health & Social Care, Professor Tim Kendall NHS England National Clinical Director for Mental Health, Professor Martin Vernon NHS England National Clinical Director for Older People and Noel Gordon, Chair at NHS Digital, NHS England Non-Executive Director & Board member.
Tickets for the Conference are £95 (plus booking fee) and include the day’s events, lunch and refreshments.
The Conference and Showcase will take place from 9.45am – 6pm on Thursday 19###sup/sup### April 2018 at Guildhall School of Music & Drama Milton Court, 1 Milton Street, London EC2Y 9BH.
Tickets available to buy online now from -